Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Fishing Tom Wallace Lake, Louisville KY


Imagine that it is a calm sunny day and you're standing along the bank of a small lake.  The water is still.  Perhaps it's a little on the cool side, but the sun's reflexion off of the water warms your skin. The sound of constant traffic has disappeared behind the hills.  All that you hear is the rustling of trees, the sound of casting a fishing line into the water and a gentle splash, and perhaps there are a few birds singing in the distance.  Nature can have a real calming effect.  Perhaps it sounds silly, but I would almost say that you can fall in sync with nature if you mentally pressed life's pause button and absorbed the world around you.

Tom Wallace Lake, located in the Jefferson Memorial Forrest, is my escape.  It's where I go to take a break from the Louisville city-life and recharge.  There, I experience a blissfulness that nowhere in the city has to offer.  Now granted, this park is no Yosemite by far, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better spot within the Louisville area that is not tainted by human traffic.  The best part is that not many people know of this location, so it's a nice little secret get-away.

"What does the park have to offer?" you may ask.  The park has miles and miles of scenic hiking, picnic areas, and of course Tom Wallace Lake, which is nestled at the base of several surrounding hills.  The lake is stocked with trout and catfish in the Spring.  Throughout the year, I've seen HUGE bass swimming along fallen trees and brush.

I myself enjoy fly-fishing.

I love to fish.  I've fished ever since I was 6 or 7 years old.  I believe it is one of the most relaxing and fun experiences a person can do.  When I was around 14, my father introduced me to fly-fishing.  Man, was a blast that was!  I soon learned how to make my own lures, whip around a fly line out to 30 or 40 feet, and even had the chance to make my own fly rod.  Fishing itself can be fun and exciting, but nothing beats catching a fish off of a lure that you hand-made.

I think I've rambled on enough for now.  If you live in the area, go check out the Jefferson Memorial Forrest and catch a fish while you're there!


No comments:

Post a Comment